Wilden Pro-Flo Shift Pumps Eliminate Pump Stalling for a Linoleum Flooring Manufacturer
How We Solved Stalling and Wear & Tear Problems to Reduce a Customer’s Downtime by 650%
The Challenge: Pumps Stalled, and Diaphragms Wore Out, Causing Expensive Delays
The customer produces flooring coverings for houses, schools, healthcare facilities, retail and hospitality facilities, and sports venues. Part of the production process for their linoleum kitchen flooring line involves pumping a solvent-based plasticizer to the resin coating for the floorboards.
During production, the customer’s existing Versamatic Air-Operated Double Diaphragm Pumps experienced significant stalling resulting in them having to scrap an entire roll of linoleum on the line. The downtime for troubleshooting and repairs, combined with the decreased production and the scrapped materials, cost the customer money.
The customer’s second issue was that the Versamatic pump diaphragms lasted only around four months, which was unacceptable to the customer. The maintenance of overhauling the pumps when the diaphragms wore out and the cost of replacing and servicing parts every quarter added even more financial stress to the customer’s operations.
The Solution: Wilden Pro-Flo Shift Technology and Non-Teflon Diaphragms
Our pump application expert devised solutions for the customer’s pump and diaphragm challenges. He introduced the idea of converting one Versamatic pump with a Wilden Pro-Flo Shift center section and Gore-Tex diaphragms to gauge how the components would fare compared to the previous solution.
The advantages were:
- Wilden Gore-Tex diaphragms can handle 70 million+ strokes before wearing out, meaning they have flex lives 6.5x longer than Teflon ones.
- Wilden Pro-Flo Shift technology optimizes air consumption to save ~15% on energy costs.
- Wilden Pro-Flo Shift pumps and Gore-Tex diaphragms can withstand abrasive fluids.
- Maintenance is more manageable with fewer parts involved.
- Without stalling, the Wilden center section would increase production and decrease scrapped materials.
The Result: An Immediate Solve to the Stalling Problem and Reduced Downtime and Costs
We converted the Versamatic AODD pumps with Wilden Pro-Flo Shift center sections and swapped out the existing Teflon diaphragms for the Wilden Gore-Tex ones with much success.
The results were:
- The stalling issues ceased immediately after installing the Wilden Pro-Flo Shift.
- The Wilden Gore-Tex diaphragms lasted 26 months before one finally wore out (6.5x longer than the Teflon diaphragms)
- A 650% decrease in downtime—there was zero production downtime caused by pump failure because neither the operating nor the backup pumps stalled
Eventually, the customer replaced the pumps entirely with complete Wilden Pro-Flo Shift pumps customized and fitted with Gore-Tex diaphragms.
AODD Pump Technology Used
We solved the customer’s problems using a customized bolted version of the Wilden Pro-Flo Shift PS8 pumps fitted with Gore-Tex diaphragms. Wilden has advanced its technology further with their new IPD diaphragms to create more durable products with longer flex lives that are suitable for most applications from industrial chemical to food-grade.
- Flow Rate: 630 LPM (166 GPM)
- Inlet Pressure: 8.6 bar (125 psi)
- Solids Size: 6.4mm (1/4”)
- Max Suction Lift: EZ-Install TPE Diaphragm: 9m (22.7 feet) Dry / 9.3m (30.6 feet) Wet
- Air Inlet: 1/2” FNPT
- Liquid Inlet: 51mm (2”)
- Liquid Discharge: 51mm (2”)
- High Vacuum
- Lube-Free operation
- No Mechanical Seals (reducing the risk of leaks)
- Dry-run capabilities without damage
- Longest Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)
- Ease of operation and maintenance